Skip to content
Muutto Tampereelle

Moving to Tampere


Local information

Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.

This page contains information on services available in Tampere. Other important information on the subject can be found on the page Moving to Finland and Moving to Finland checklist.

Permits for foreigners

If you want to move to Finland, find out whether you need a residence permit. Residence permits are handled by the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) and Finnish diplomatic missions abroad.

If you are an EU-citizen, you can reside or work in Finland for three months without registering. You must hold a valid personal identification card or passport. If the duration of your residence exceeds three months, you are required to register your right of residence.

Read more: EU citizens, Non-EU citizens, Nordic citizens

Link redirects to another websiteFinnish Immigration Service

Residence permits

The Finnish Immigration Service has a service point in Tampere. You can contact the service point to lodge a residence permit application, prove your identity or submit additional documents for your pending application.

Registering as a resident

When moving to Tampere, you must register as a resident of the municipality. You can register at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (Digi- ja väestötietovirast.

Digital and Population Data Services Agency, Tampere Unit

Hatanpään valtatie 36

PL 682

33101 Tampere

When visiting the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, please bring along the following:

  • identification (e.g., your passport)
  • residence permit and residence card (if you need a residence permit for Finland)
  • certificate of registration of the right to reside (if you are an EU citizen)
  • marriage certificate
  • your children’s birth certificates.

Please note that all foreign documents must be legalised. More information about the legalisation of documents is available at the local register office or your country’s diplomatic mission in Finland.

Read more information about Registering as a resident.

Link redirects to another websiteDigital and Population Data Services Agency

Municipality of residence and moving information

Link redirects to another websiteDigital and Population Data Services Agency

Registration of foreigners

Notification of change of address

When you move into a new home permanently, or if your temporary residence at another address lasts for more than three months, you must submit notification of change of address. This notification can be submitted at the earliest one month before the date of your move and must be received at your local register office at the latest one week after your move.

Notification of change of address can be submitted at the online service (Link leads to external service) (24 h/day) with online banking credentials, ID card or Posti user name. You can also call the moving helpline, tel. 0295 539 225 (network charge/mobile network charge), from Monday to Friday 9–12. The moving helpline will give you personal service. Being put on hold is subject to a charge.

Notification of change of address can also be submitted on a form available at the post office or your local register office.

Link redirects to another websitePopulation Register Centre

Notification of change of address