Skip to content
Työsuhteen aikana

During employment

What practical matters do you need to know when starting a job in Finland? What rights and obligations do you have as an employee, and where can you learn more about them? Learn more about it on our website.

Before you start a job, make sure that you have the right to work in the field in question. Your employer is also obliged to check that you have a valid right to work throughout your employment relationship.  

Learn more on the InfoFinland page Right to work in Finland

Make a written contract of employment with the employer before you start a new job. The employment contract specifies the tasks, wage or salary, working hours, start date, probationary period (if there is one) and other terms, as well as the benefits of the employment relationship. Sign the employment contract on or before your first day of work.  

Read more on the InfoFinland page Employment contract and terms of employment

Starting a new job

After you have accepted a job and agreed on the terms of employment, find out the start date, place of work and who will meet you on your first day of work.  

Bring your employer your tax card (verokortti) and bank account IBAN number. You can get a tax card from the Tax Administration (Verohallinto). Your wage or salary is paid to your bank account. You need a passport or some other official identity card to open a bank account. Opening an account is easier if you already have a Finnish personal identity code (suomalainen henkilötunnus). 

Learn more about opening a bank account and Finnish tax cards on the InfoFinland pages Everyday life in Finland and Tax card

Other documents and statements

Also bring your employer certificates of employment from your previous jobs or other documents required by the employer. Some employers may pay you an experience bonus based on certificates of employment.  

Sometimes the employer needs to ensure that your health is appropriate for the job in question. The employer will send you to occupational health care services to check this. The occupational health care provider will write a statement to the employer on whether your health is suitable for the job. You will not be charged for this. The statement will not mention any illnesses you may have, for example.

In some fields, other health check-ups are also needed. The employer pays for work-related health check-ups and reports. If you work with children, the employer may ask you for an extract of criminal background.


Talk to your employer about your work and workplace. The employer must familiarise you with your new tasks. 

Read more about Finnish work culture on the InfoFinland page Finnish working life

Wages and leave

In Finland, wages and bonuses are often determined on the basis of a collective agreement. An employer may also pay more than what is required by the collective agreement. Check the payslip for all deductions, such as taxes withheld, unemployment insurance contributions and pension contributions. All employees are entitled to paid annual holidays or holiday compensation. You should also find out your rights to family leave, study leave or other types of leave.  

Read more on the InfoFinland pages Wages and working hours and Holidays and leaves

Employee’s rights and obligations

Labour legislation and collective agreements regulate employees’ rights and obligations.  

When you work in Finland you are entitled to 

  • wages in accordance with the collective agreement and other minimum provisions, 
  • the protection provided by law and agreements, 
  • join a trade union, and 
  • a healthy and safe working environment. 

As an employee, you are obliged to 

  • perform your work conscientiously, 
  • observe the agreed-upon working hours, 
  • follow the instructions of the management, 
  • decline activities which compete with those of your employer, 
  • keep business and trade secrets, and 
  • consider your employer’s interests. 

Trade unions

When you start work, join a trade union (ammattiliitto). In Finland, most employees belong to a trade union in their field. You can get information about your field, various member benefits and advice from the trade union if you have problems with your employer.  

When you join a trade union, you can also join the unemployment fund (työttömyyskassa) for your field. If you become unemployed, the unemployment fund can pay you earnings-related unemployment benefit (ansiosidonnainen työttömyyspäiväraha).  

Read more on the InfoFinland pages Trade unions and Unemployment benefit

Link redirects to another websiteThe Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions SAK

Information on trade unions in different sectors

Occupational health care

Every employer is obliged to organise preventive occupational health care (työterveyshuolto) for its employees. The employer must tell you which services you can receive through occupational health care. You should ask your supervisor how to report sickness and other absences. Some employers may also provide medical treatment through occupational health care.  

Read more on the InfoFinland page Occupational health and illness

Health and safety at work

In Finland, employers and supervisors are obliged to ensure that the work does not endanger the safety or health of employees. As an employee, you yourself must also make sure to you carry out your work safely and to follow instructions. It is the duty of the employer to supervise safety at the workplace. An occupational safety and health representative can help employees in matters related to health and safety at work.

Read more on the InfoFinland page Health and safety at work

Equal opportunities

Every employee has a right to equality and equal opportunities in job search and at the workplace. According to law, employees must be treated equally in terms of working conditions, terms of employment, staff training and career advancement. Read more on the InfoFinland page Equality and equal opportunities in working life.

Advice in employment issues

If you have questions about or problems with your employment, you can contact the employee rights hotline for immigrants. The service is provided by the Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions SAK (Suomen Ammattiliittojen Keskusjärjestö SAK). You can use the service even if you are not a trade union member. A lawyer answers questions about things like employment contracts, wages or working hours. You can get advice for free in Finnish or English. 

Employee rights hotline (työsuhdeneuvonta)

Tel.: 0800 414 004 

Mon 14.00–17.00, 

Tue, Wed 9.00–11.00 and 12.00–15.00 

Email: (Link opens default mail program) 

Telephone service of the occupational safety and health authorities

You can also call the nationwide telephone service of the occupational safety and health authorities (työsuojeluviranomainen), which provides services in Finnish, Swedish and English: 

Tel. 0295 016 620 

Work Help Finland mobile app

You can download the Work Help Finland app to your phone. It is intended for employees who move to Finland and live in Finland.

The app provides information about the rights and obligations of employees in Finland. If you have problems at the workplace or with your employer, you can also find help through the app.

Help in problem situations in working life

If you feel that you have problems related to your employment contract and employment relationship or that you have been treated unfairly, you can contact your supervisor or your workplace’s occupational safety and health representative or shop steward. The occupational safety and health representative can help employees in matters related to health and safety at work. The name and contact details of the occupational safety and health representative must be made available at the workplace. The shop steward ensures that the employer complies with labour law and the collective agreement at the workplace.

If you suspect that you have been discriminated against at work, you can contact the occupational safety and health authorities, the Non-Discrimination Ombudsman or your trade union.

Read more on the InfoFinland page Problems in working life