Checklist for moving house
When you are moving house in Finland:
- Remember to submit a notification of move (muuttoilmoitus). You can submit it one month before you move at the earliest, but you must submit it one week after your move at the latest.
- You must always make a notification of move to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (Digi- ja väestötietovirasto). You can make the notification
- online or
- using a form available at post offices or service locations of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency.
- If you live in a block of flats or in a terraced house, always remember to also notify the house manager (isännöitsijä) about your move.
- Notify your new address to everyone who sends you mail. Some organisations and companies will receive your new address directly from the population register. However, you are also responsible, for your own part, for receiving bills in the correct address and paying them in time.
- If you live in a rental dwelling, remember to give notice well in advance. It is advisable to give the notice in writing. Check the term of notice for your dwelling. It is usually a calendar month. Read more on the InfoFinland page Tenancy agreement.
- If you have children, take care of their new day care and school arrangements. You need to notify the day care and school about the time your children will stop attending. While doing so, it is also advisable to enrol the children to their new day care and school.
- Remember to reserve possible moving help well in advance. Turn of the month and weekends, among others, are always busy times for moving firms.
- Make arrangements with your service provider well in advance for moving your Internet connection in order to prevent interruptions in the service.
- Terminate your old electricity contract before you move and make a new one. It is advisable to compare the prices offered by different electricity companies in order to find the cheapest one. You can obtain an electricity contract by calling an electricity company and supplying them with your name and new address.
- If you move into a detached house, remember to also make other contracts, such as a water connection contract and a waste management contract. In case the house is heated with oil, remember to check the amount of oil.
- Check if your current insurances, such as home insurance, also have sufficient coverage for the new dwelling. If you move from a block of flats into a detached house, for example, you are likely to need different kind of insurance.
- Clean up your old dwelling before moving and make sure to also empty the attic, cellar and garage.
- If you live in a rental dwelling, hand over all the keys to your previous dwelling to the owner or house manager.
Energy Market AuthorityCompare electricity pricesLink redirects to another website
Suomimuutto OyMoving servicesLink redirects to another website
Muuttopalvelu NiemiMoving servicesLink redirects to another website
When you move to Finland
If you are planning to move to Finland, you can find information on the InfoFinland page Moving to Finland. If you want information on practical issues related to moving to Finland, read more on page Checklist for a person who is moving to Finland.
If you have just moved to Finland, you must register as a resident. Read more on the InfoFinland page Registering as a resident.
Moving away from Finland
Are you moving to another country from Finland? Read more on the InfoFinland page Moving away from Finland.