Skip to content
Perhe Helsingissä

Family in Helsinki

Families who have moved from elsewhere are comfortable in Helsinki. The city offers services and activities for young couples, families with children and the elderly. We can also tell you where to get help if you have family problems.

Local information

Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.

Marriage in Helsinki

Before getting married you must request, in writing, an examination of possible impediments to your marriage. You must request the examination from the Digital and Population Data Services Agency well in advance of the wedding. Civil marriages are conducted at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency and require an appointment.

Digital and Population Data Services Agency, Helsinki

Lintulahdenkuja 2 D, 2nd floor

Tel. 0295 536 244

Read more about marriage, marital contract or other family matters on the InfoFinland page: Marriage in Finland.

Link redirects to another websiteDigital and Population Data Services Agency

Marriage ceremony

Child’s birth

Information regarding a child’s birth is sent from the hospital to the Finnish Population Information System. You must inform the Digital and Population Data Services Agency about the child’s names, native language and other necessary information on a separate form that will be sent to your home.

You can read more about the registration of a child’s birth, recognition of paternity and maternity and custody on the InfoFinland page: When a child is born in Finland.

Link redirects to another websiteHUS Helsinki University Hospital


Childcare and early childhood education

Helsinki offers services and support for childcare and education. You can get advice and help with caring for a new-born at the Helsinki Maternity and Child Health Clinic. If you need help with everyday situations, ask the home help service.

Child home care allowance

If you care for your child under 3 years of age at home, you can claim child home care allowance (kotihoidon tuki). You can claim the allowance from Kela. In addition, the City of Helsinki pays a municipal care allowance supplement for families who care for a child under 2 years of age at home.

You can read more about childcare and education outside the home on the InfoFinland pages Early childhood education and Education in Helsinki.

Guidance and home service for families with children in Helsinki

Do you need advice and help with looking after a child at home or with everyday challenges? You can call the City of Helsinki’s social counselling for families with children. You can also ask for advice from the home service or ask if a home service professional can visit your family. Home service means assisting the family in their everyday activities.

Tel. 09 3101 54 54. The service is available on weekdays at 7:00–13:00, counselling at 9:00–12:00.

Home service for families with children is subject to a fee. Read more about the hourly rates and the home service on the City of Helsinki website.

Playgrounds and clubs

There are playgrounds and family houses in Helsinki in which activities are organised for children and parents who care for children at home. Activities can include sports, singing and arts and crafts.

Some playgrounds and family houses organise Finnish language courses for parents. During the course, a childminder takes care of your child.

Part-time clubs for children between the age of 2 and 5 who do not attend early childhood education are organised at day-care centres, family houses and playgrounds. Similar clubs are also organised by the parishes of Helsinki and various associations.

Kotoklubi Kaneli operates in Helsinki’s playgrounds. At Kotoklubi, you can learn everyday Finnish together with children and parents by singing, playing, moving and doing arts and crafts. No advance registration is required for Kotoklubi Kaneli. For more information, please visit the nearest playground.

Temporary childcare

If you need a temporary nanny in your home, you can contact the Mannerheim League for Child Welfare (Mannerheimin lastensuojeluliitto) or Väestöliitto.

Helsinki also offers a home care service for families with children, which is subject to a fee and depends on the family’s monthly income.

Link redirects to another websiteFamily Federation of Finland

Childcare and domestic help

Link redirects to another websiteMannerheim League for Child Welfare

Help for childcare

Problems in a family

Problems in marriage and relationships

Familia organises free counselling and support for intercultural couples and families in Finnish and English. The Family Federation of Finland (Väestöliitto) provides relationship counselling and couples therapy in Finnish and English.

To read more, go to: Family.

Help for women in different languages

If you have experienced violence or threats, you can get help and support at Crisis Center Monika. You can make an appointment beforehand by calling the helpline or you can just turn up. The service is completely confidential and you do not have to give your name. You can get help in many different languages.

Helpline 0800 05058, Mon–Fri 9 am–4 pm

Crisis Center Monika (Kriisikeskus Monika)
Address: Hermannin Rantatie 12 A, 4th floor.
Opening hours: Mon–Fri 9 am–5 pm

Help for men

Lyömätön linja is a service that helps men who have used violence against their wife. Tel. 044 751 1334.

If a member of your family uses violence against you or threatens to do so, you can contact a shelter (turvakoti). The Mona Shelter is a shelter women and their children. It provides services in several languages.

Mona Shelter (24h)
Tel. 045 639 6274

If the situation is threatening, you can go to a shelter (Pääkaupungin Turvakoti ry).

Haaga Shelter
Steniuksentie 20
Tel. (09) 4777 180 (24h)

Toukola Shelter
Hämeentie 126 F
Tel. 050 5650 636 (24h)

Link redirects to another websitePääkaupungin Turvakoti ry

Help for victims of domestic violence

Children’s problems

Nurses at the child health clinic can give advice about issues connected to young children’s health or growth and development.

If you want to ask for advice about issues connected to raising children or their development, you can make an appointment for family counselling (perheneuvola). Family counselling helps children under the age of 18 years and their parents.

The Family Federation of Finland (Väestöliitto) helps families in matters connected to raising children and the well-being of families.

Counselling in different languages:
Tel.: 09 2280 5245 or 050 325 6450 (Sorani, Dari, Persian)
Tel. 09 2280 5141, 050 325 7173 (Russian, English)

Young people’s problems

Helsinki Youth Station (Helsingin nuorisoasema) provides help to young people aged 13–23 years living in Helsinki. Help is given for mental health problems or with stopping substance abuse or gambling, for example. The parents of a young person can also contact the youth station.

Girls can receive support and advice at the Girls’ House (tyttöjen talo) and boys at the Boys’s House (Poikien talo).

The Red Cross has a shelter for young people aged 12–19 years. At the Emergency Youth Shelter, you can talk to someone and get a temporary place to stay and sleep. Contact information for the Emergency Youth Shelter:

Uudenmaankatu 32 A
Open: every day 5 pm–10 am
Tel. 09 622 4322

To read more, go to: Children.

Link redirects to another websiteTyttöjen talo Helsinki

Support and activities for girls

Link redirects to another websitePoikien Talo

Poikien Talo


Women and men can file for divorce at the office of the District Court of Helsinki. Individual spouses can file for divorce independently. Applications can be sent to the District Court office by post or e-mail.

Helsinki District Court
Porkkalankatu 13
Tel. 029 56 44200

If you need help negotiating matters with your spouse, you can get help from family mediation (perheasioiden sovittelu). Read more about divorce proceedings and documents on the InfoFinland page: Divorce.

Children in a divorce

If you and your spouse have children, make an appointment to see a child supervisor (lastenvalvoja). The child supervisor will confirm an agreement on living arrangements, custody, visitation rights and child maintenance support.

Child supervisor appointments:
Tel. (09) 310 44999

Guidance on child supervisor services:
Tel. (09) 310 43447

If you need help agreeing matters related to your children, you can apply for family mediation.

Read more about children’s living arrangements, custody, visitation rights and child maintenance allowance on the InfoFinland page: Children in a divorce.

Do you need a lawyer?

If you need legal help, contact the Helsinki Legal Aid Office (Helsingin oikeusaputoimisto).

Helsingin oikeusaputoimisto
Address: Porkkalankatu 13 G, 2nd floor.
Tel.: 029 56 60120
E-mail: helsinki.oikapu(at)

You can also find a private lawyer through the Finnish Bar Association website.


Link redirects to another websiteThe Finnish Bar Association



Senior Info service is provided by the City of Helsinki and offers guidance in services for the elderly in Helsinki. Senior Info is intended for elderly people who live in Helsinki, and their relatives. Senior Info provides assistance in Finnish, Swedish and English.

Tel. 09 3104 4556 (Mon–Fri 9 am–15 noon)

Supported and service housing

Some people, such as elderly or disabled persons, have difficulties in dealing with everyday tasks without assistance. The city organises services for them to help them live independently.

Elderly or disabled persons who are incapable of living independently can reside in sheltered housing or institutional care. You can receive more information on the services from a local social services unit.

Read more on the InfoFinland page: Supported and service housing.

If you care for a family member at home

If you are taking care of an elderly, ill or disabled family member at home, you may be entitled to informal care allowance. You can obtain more information from the local social and contact work unit (sosiaali- ja lähityön toimipiste).

Read more: Elderly.

When a close family member dies in Finland

Funeral homes help with the practicalities of burials. You can search for funeral homes on the website of the Finnish Association for Funeral Homes, for example. Helsinki has several cemeteries. The Evangelical Lutheran Church maintains most of them. There are also the Orthodox Christian Cemetery of Helsinki, the Jewish Cemetery of Helsinki and the Islamic Cemetery for Tatars of Helsinki, they are in Hietaniemi.

The Muslims of Helsinki have a special burial section at the Honkanummi Cemetery in Vantaa. Honkanummi Cemetery also has a non-denominational area for burying those who did not belong to any religion.

If someone close to your has died and you need mental support, you can call the Crisis Emergency Support (kriisipäivystys). You can call at any hour. The number is 09 310 44222.

Read more: When a close family member dies in Finland.

Link redirects to another websiteThe Finnish Association of Funeral Homes

Funeral homes

Link redirects to another websiteParish Union of Helsinki


Link redirects to another websiteParish Union of Helsinki

Non-denominational cemetery