Skip to content
Perhe Espoossa

Family in Espoo

The Family in Espoo page contains practical instructions if you are getting married or taking care of a child at home or need services for an elderly person close to you.

Local information

Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.


Before getting married, you must request in writing an examination of the possible impediments to your marriage (avioliiton esteiden tutkiminen). The examination of impediments is done at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. You can submit the examination request to any service location.

Digital and Population Data Services Agency
Miestentie 3
02150 Espoo
Tel. 0295 536 244

Read more: Marriage

Link redirects to another websiteDigital and Population Data Services Agency

Marriage ceremony

Link redirects to another websiteDigital and Population Data Services Agency

Request for an examination of impediments to marriage

Child’s birth

Information regarding a child’s birth is sent from the hospital to the Finnish Population Information System. You have to inform the Digital and Population Data Services Agency about the child’s names, native language and other necessary information on a separate form that will be sent to your home.

You can read more about the registration of a child’s birth, recognition of paternity and custody on the InfoFinland page: When a child is born in Finland .

Read more: Health in Espoo

Link redirects to another websiteHUS Helsinki University Hospital


Taking care of a child

Information on the day care of children in Espoo is available on the InfoFinland page Education in Espoo .

Temporary childcare

If you need a temporary nanny in your home you can contact the Mannerheim League for Child Welfare (Mannerheimin lastensuojeluliitto) or Väestöliitto.

Link redirects to another websiteFamily Federation of Finland

Childcare and domestic help

Link redirects to another websiteMannerheim League for Child Welfare

Help for childcare

Read more: Day care

Child home care allowance

If the youngest child of the family is under three years of age, a parent may receive child home care allowance (kotihoidon tuki) if he or she takes care of the child at home. If you are entitled to child home care allowance, you can apply for it from Kela. You can fill in the application online or post it to Kela. You can also visit a Kela office. Espoo has four Kela offices.

The City of Espoo pays an additional Espoo supplement to families who care for a child under 3 years of age at home. Parents who care for all under-school-age children of the family are entitled to apply for the Espoo supplement.

Resident playgrounds and clubs

The City of Espoo organises plenty of activities for parents who care for their children at home, including resident playgrounds, open day-care centres and playgroups.

Read more: Benefits for looking after a child at home


Elderly people can use the services of regular health stations. In addition, Espoo provides specialised elderly services, such as home care services. If you would like more information on elderly services, contact Guidance for Elderly Citizens (Seniorineuvonta).

Tel. (09) 816 33333

If you care for a family member at home

If you are taking care of an elderly, ill or disabled family member at home, you may be entitled to informal care allowance.

Read more: Elderly

Problems in a family

Information on where to get help in Espoo for problems related to children, young people and families is available on the InfoFinland page Problem situations in Espoo .

There is also information on children's and young people's problems on the InfoFinland page Children's and young people's problems .


Either spouse alone or both spouses together can file for a divorce. You can file for a divorce alone, even if your spouse does not wish to separate from you. In Espoo, divorce applications are filed with Western Uusimaa District Court.

District Court of Länsi-Uusimaa (Länsi-Uudenmaan käräjäoikeus)
Vitikka 1 B 2
02630 Espoo
Tel. 029 564 4000
E-mail: lansi-uusimaa.ko(at)

Read more about filing for a divorce: Divorce

Link redirects to another websiteDistrict Court of Länsi-Uusimaa

Contact information

Children in a divorce

If you and your spouse have children and are planning to divorce, make an appointment to see a child supervisor (lastenvalvoja). The child supervisor will confirm an agreement on living arrangements, custody, visitation rights and child maintenance support.

Child supervisor appointments
Monday to Friday at 10:00–11:00
tel. (09) 816 27711

Read more: Children in a divorce