Skip to content
Perhe Vaasassa

Family in Vaasa


Local information

Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.


Before you can get married, both partners must submit a written application for an examination of impediments to marriage to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (digi- ja väestötietovirasto). You can submit the application to any Digital and Population Data Services Agency office. Civil marriages also usually take place at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency.

Link redirects to another websiteVaasa - Digital and Population Data Services Agency

Vaasa - Digital and Population Data Services Agency

Link redirects to another websiteDigital and Population Data Service Agency

Marriage - Digital and Population Data Services Agency

Read more: Marriage in Finland


Divorce applications are filed at the Vaasa District Court (Vaasan käräjäoikeus) registry. The application can also be sent by post or e-mail. Spouses can file for divorce either together or alone.

Family counselling centres can provide help and support in divorce situations. Conciliation discussions help parents who are separating or divorced. Parents are helped to find solutions that consider both the needs of any children and the perspectives of the adults.

A parish family counselling service also provides professional discussion assistance on relationship and family issues as well as life crisis situations.

If you have children and your marriage comes to an end, make an appointment with a child welfare officer. The child welfare officer confirms the agreement on where the children will live, custody, visitation rights and maintenance.

Link redirects to another websiteThe Wellbeing Services County of Ostrobothnia

Family Counselling

Link redirects to another websiteThe Wellbeing Services County of Ostrobothnia

Child Supervisor

Read more: Divorce

Read more: Children in divorce

When you are pregnant

Contact the child health clinic as soon as you realise you are expecting a baby. Maternity clinic services are free of charge. Contact information for clinics can be found on the Wellbeing Services County of Ostrobothnia website.

Link redirects to another websiteThe Wellbeing Services County of Ostrobothnia

Maternity Clinic

Link redirects to another websiteWellbeing services county of Ostrobothnia

Family Coaching

Read more Pregnancy and childbirth


You can apply for a place in early childhood education for a preschool child. Vaasa has early childhood education in daycare centres, family daycare and private daycare centres in Finnish, Swedish and English. An income-based customer fee is charged for early childhood education.

An Early Childhood Education Service Counsellor advises families on applying for an early childhood education place and explains the different options.

Vaasa also has open daycare centres with open and free activities and clubs.

Fill out an electronic application on the city’s website when you wish to apply for a place for your child in daycare, family daycare or an open daycare club.

A parent of a child under the age of 3 can receive homecare support while caring for the child at home. If you are entitled to homecare support, you can apply for it from Kela. Fill in the application online or send it by mail to Kela. You can also visit Kela's office.

Children’s and young people’s problems

A child welfare notification is made when there is concern about a child’s health and wellbeing. You can submit a child welfare notification by calling the child and family social services helpline 06 325 2320 on weekdays from 08:00 to 12:00. You can also contact the Ostrobothnia Emergency Social Service by phone, every day of the week, any time of the day. Their phone number is: 06 218 9555.

The public health nurse at the child welfare clinic can give advice on questions concerning the health, development and growth of your child. If necessary, the public health nurse can refer you to other services for help.

A school nurse or a school social worker (kuraattori) can help with the problems of school-age children. You can make an appointment with the child health clinic, if you want to ask for advice on matters concerning your child’s mental growth and development.

Outreach youth work is intended for young people, between the ages of 15 and 29 from Vaasa, who need support in planning their future and in taking care of everyday affairs.

The family advice centre of Wellbeing Services County of Ostrobothnia will help in difficult life situations. You can get help, for example, with parenting or if you are worried about your child's behaviour and wellbeing.

Link redirects to another websiteThe Ministry of Social Affairs and Health

Child welfare

Link redirects to another websiteThe Wellbeing Services County of Ostrobothnia

A child welfare notification

Link redirects to another websiteThe Wellbeing Services County of Ostrobothnia

Family Counselling

Read more: Children's and young people's problems.


When a loved one dies, you can get help and support from health stations, the Ostrobothnian Crisis Center Valo (Pohjanmaan kriisikeskus Valo), and parishes.

Vaasa cemeteries operate as public cemeteries and they are intended for all city residents. For more information on funeral matters, visit the parish website.

Read more: Death