Skip to content
Asuminen Tampereella

Housing in Tampere


Local information

Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.

This page contains information about housing in Tampere. Other important information on the subject can be found on the page Housing

Housing advice

The housing advisory service for immigrants is primarily intended for people who are new to the municipality. The housing advisor works as part of the early-stage services for immigrants at the Sarvis Social Office.

Please refer to the Housing Guide for Immigrants section for information on the special characteristics of housing in Finland. The tips provided in the guide mainly concern rental housing, but you can also find general information related to comfortable housing and the maintenance of your home.

Read more: Housing problems, Rights and obligations of occupants

Rental dwelling

Homes are rented out by many businesses, the City of Tampere, private individuals, and other parties. You can also ask your employer about company dwellings.

The price of a rental home in Tampere depends on the size of the dwelling, its location, and its condition. Rents are lower outside the immediate downtown area. Apart from rent, the inhabitant also needs to pay an electricity bill, home insurance, and possibly a water or Internet bill. In addition, a rental deposit worth one to three months’ rent is needed. This will be returned when moving out.

Tampere has both unregulated rental homes and those whose construction has been funded using state Arava or interest-subsidy loans, so called ARA-funded homes. Unregulated homes have no income or wealth restrictions for dwellers. For ARA-funded homes, tenants must be chosen on a social allocation basis, and the homes cannot be rented to inhabitants exceeding a wealth limit that depends on the applicant’s household size. You can find these wealth limits at the bottom of the page. More information about rental and right-of-occupancy homes [City of Tampere - Housing and Environment - Housing].

Read more: Rental dwelling, Student housing

Link redirects to another websiteAsuntotori

Obtaining housing

Link redirects to another

Rental housing

Link redirects to another websiteOikotie

Rental housing

Right-of-occupancy housing

You can apply for right-of-occupancy housing, if

• you are at least 18 years old

• you do not own a house or an apartment and do not have the funds to purchase one (if you are 55 years old or older, the asset limits do not apply to you)

To apply for right-of-occupancy housing, you need a queue number, which can be obtained from the housing services of the City of Tampere for housing units located in Tampere. You can apply for the number online. You can also print the form and fill it in by hand. Post your application to the following address:

Housing Department (Asuntotoimi)

Frenckellinaukio 2 B

PL 487


Once you have obtained the queue number, ask for available housing from owners and developers. The contact information is available on the City of Tampere website. You can apply for housing in multiple areas at the same time.

Read more: Right-of-occupancy dwelling

Owner-occupied housing

Many real estate agents who sell housing can be found online. Owner occupied housing is fairly expensive. Banks and other financing institutions grant loans to private individuals for purchasing owner-occupied dwellings.

Read more: Owner-occupied housing

Supported and service housing

Kotitori is a service and guidance point for the elderly, which provides information on various types of housing intended for senior citizens.

Senior housing

The housing units in senior houses have been designed for elderly people who can function without outside help or with minor support. The dwellings are rental or owner-occupied housing units that are primarily intended for healthy people over 55 or 60 years of age.

Service homes

Service homes provide suitable housing and necessary services for those who are no longer capable of living in their own homes but do not yet require the services of a nursing home or hospital care.


Frenckellin aukio 2 B

33101 Tampere

Tel. 040 733 3949

Link redirects to another websiteInformation Office for Elderly People (Kotitori)

Service and information office for elderly people

Housing services for the disabled

You can enquire about housing services for the mentally or physically disabled from the City of Tampere Social Welfare Office for the Disabled.

Social Welfare Office for the Disabled

Kanta-Sarvis 3

Hatanpäänkatu 3 B (2nd floor)

Tel. 040 159 8379, counselling mon, tues - thurs 9 - 10 and 13 - 14, wed 15 - 17 and fri 9 - 10.

Link redirects to another websitePirkanmaan hyvinvointialue

Social Welfare Office for the Disabled

Housing in a crisis situation

If a member of your family uses violence against you or threatens to do so, you can contact a shelter. You can call the shelter at any hour, the telephone number is 050 309 9313.

The Emergency Youth Shelters maintained by the Finnish Red Cross are intended for young people under 19 years of age and their families. You can also stay overnight, if necessary. The services of the Youth Shelters are free of charge.

City of Tampere Mother and Child Home and Shelter

Mutkakatu 38

33500 Tampere

Tel. 050 309 9313 (on call 24 h)

Pirkanmaa Shelter Home

Terhokuja 5

33840 Tampere

Emergency Youth Shelter

Hämeenkatu 22 C

33200 Tampere

Tel. 040 556 6661

Read more:Housing in a crisis situation

Link redirects to another websiteTampere Shelter Home

Help for victims of domestic violence


Should you find yourself without a home, please contact the Social Services.

Social services’ counselling service

Sosiaaliasema Sarvis

Hatanpäänkatu 3 J

Tel. 03 384 5700

Link redirects to another websiteCity of Tampere


Housing allowance

You can apply for housing allowance from Kela. Many Kela benefits can also be applied for online.


Aleksis Kiven katu 18

33210 Tampere

Read more: Housing allowance

Waste management for your housing and recycling

Sort all waste generated by your household, such as organic waste, glass, metal, cardboard and paper, and take it to your building's waste containers or waste collection points. Do not place hazardous or toxic waste, such as chemicals, in waste containers. Take hazardous waste to the nearest waste collection point. Your building's waste containers are intended for normal household waste only.

Furniture, household appliance scrap and other sizeable waste must be taken to a waste treatment plant or processing centre. If you cannot transport large waste items, you can order the Repsikka retrieval services, which is subject to a charge.

Do not throw solid waste, litter or food scraps into the toilet bowl or drain.

Pirkanmaan Jätehuolto Oy

Kelloportinkatu 1

33100 Tampere

Tel. 03 240 5110, customer service open 9:00 am-3:00 pm

Read more: Waste management and recycling

Link redirects to another websitePirkanmaan Jätehuolto Oy

Waste containers and guidance

Link redirects to another websitePirkanmaan Jätehuolto Oy

Household Waste guide

Link redirects to another websiteEkokumppanit Oy

Maahanmuuttajan ympäristöopas