Skip to content
Muutto Kajaaniin

Moving to Kajaani


Local information

Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.

Residence permit - issues

When you move from abroad to Kajaani for more than 90 days, you will need a residence permit or registration of the right of residence.
The Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) handles residence permit and residence permit matters.
You can do this online using the Enter Finland service.
When you need to go to an Immigration Service office, please make an appointment in advance.
You can book an appointment on the EnterFinland service.
To use the online service, you will need a Finnish online banking ID or a mobile ID.

Link redirects to another websiteThe Finnish immigration service

The Finnish immigration service

Link redirects to another websiteFinnish Immigration Service


There is no Immigration Service office in Kajaani. You may visit the office in Oulu or Kuopio for example.

Finnish Immigration Service Oulu office
Alberinkatu 49
90100 Oulu
Open: Mon-Wed and Fri 8.00-16.15 (closed on Thursdays).

Finnish Immigration Service Kuopio office
Ajurinkatu 45
70110 Kuopio
Open: Mon–Wed and Fri at 8.00–16.15 (closed on Thursdays)

Read more: Moving to Finland

Registration as a resident

When you move to Kajaani from abroad, you must register as a resident with the Digital and Population Data Services Agency DVV.

Digital and Population Data Services Agency Office
Lönnrotinkatu 2 C
87100 Kajaani

The office is open by appointment Wed 9.30-16.00 and Fri 10.00-15.30

National customer service information:
e-mail: international(at)
phone: (foreigners' registrations) +358 29 55 36 320

When visiting the DVV Office, please make sure to have with you:

  • an identity document (e.g., passport)
  • residence permit and residence card (if you need a residence permit for Finland)
  • residence registration (if you are a citizen of an EU country)
  • a marriage certificate
  • birth certificates of your children

Please note that documents for foreign nationals must be translated into Finnish, Swedish or English and legalised.

Read more: Registrating as a resident
Read more: Municipality of residence in Finland

Link redirects to another websiteDigi- ja väestövirasto (DVV)

E-service for booking appointments

Link redirects to another websiteDigi- ja väestötietovirasto (DVV)

Legalisation of foreign documents

Notice of move

When you move to Kajaani from elsewhere in Finland or to a new address in Kajaani, you must submit a moving notification.
Make a notification of your move to the DVV office and the Post office.
You can make the notification online or by filling in a form. Forms are available from the DVV and Posti.

Kajaani International Info

Kajaani International Info helps, supports, and advises you in all matters related to your move.
The service is available in Finnish, English and, with the help of an interpreter, in other languages as well.
Book an appointment for personal guidance.

Kajaani International info
Pohjolankatu 13 (Kajaani City Hall)
87100 Kajaani 

phone: + 358 40 559 6732

Open: Mon-Tues 12.00-15.00, Wed-Thurs 9.00-12.00.

Read more: Moving House

Link redirects to another websiteKajaanin kaupunki

Kajaani International Info