Skip to content
Ihmiskauppa ja pakkotyö

Human trafficking and forced labour

Human trafficking includes, for example, forcing another person to work with no salary. Human trafficking often involves violence or threats of violence as well. This page contains information on where victims of human trafficking can get help.

Human trafficking is a crime in Finland. The following acts are regarded as human trafficking:

  • forcing someone to work without pay or for too little pay
  • forcing someone to sell sex
  • forcing someone to beg or commit crimes
  • forcing someone to marry.

Are you a victim of human trafficking?

You may be a victim of human trafficking if:

  • someone is pressuring you to do things you do not want to do
  • someone is making threats of violence against you or your family
  • someone is threatening to report you to authorities if you do not do as they want
  • someone is preventing or controlling your movements
  • you are unable to freely discuss your situation with others.

Victims of human trafficking can be women, men or children. Human traffickers can be professional criminals, but also acquaintances, friends or relatives of the victim.

Aid to victims of human trafficking

Victims of human trafficking can get help. If you suspect that you are a victim of human trafficking, contact the Assistance system for victims of human trafficking. You can find the contact information on the website.

Victim Support Finland

If you are a victim of a crime, you can get support and advice from Victim Support Finland. You can contact Victim Support Finland by telephone or chat or visit a local service point. Victim Support Finland (Rikosuhripäivystys) also offers free legal advice.

If someone has forced you to sell sex, you can also get help from Pro-tukipiste. There are services in Helsinki, Tampere and Turku. You can find their contact information on the Pro-tukipiste website.

Residence permit for victims of human trafficking

If you have been or may reasonably be suspected of having been the victim of human trafficking, you may be granted a residence permit in Finland. You must be in Finland in order to apply for a residence permit as a victim of human trafficking. If you are in a particularly vulnerable situation, you can obtain a continuous residence permit. For additional information on the residence permit for victims of human trafficking, please contact the Finnish Immigration Service.

Residence permit or certificate due to exploitation by employer

If you already have a residence permit in Finland and have been the victim of exploitation by your employer, you can apply for an extended permit or a certificate of expanded right to work due to exploitation by employer. Apply for an extended permit due to exploitation by employer if your current residence permit is about to expire and you do not yet have a new employer. Apply for a certificate due to exploitation by employer if you have a valid residence permit and you have found a new employer. With a certificate or extended permit, you can work in any field.