Skip to content
Asettuminen Helsinkiin

Settling in Helsinki

In Helsinki, you can find various services that help you settle in the city. Such services include, for example, initial assessment (alkukartoitus), integration plan (kotoutumissuunnitelma) and integration training (kotoutumiskoulutus). If your family members move to Helsinki with you, they may also be entitled to these services.

Local information

Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.

Services that facilitate integration


Helsinki-info is an advice service where you can get up-to-date information about Helsinki, city services, housing opportunities, work and studying. You can also ask for help if you are uncertain as to which authority to contact. Helsinki-info also offers digital advice and helps with matters connected to entry into the country. Helsinki-info serves in several languages by phone, face to face or online.

Telephone 09 310 11111 and chat Mon–Thu 9 am–4 pm, Fri 10 am–3 pm

Service points:

  • Central Library Oodi, address: Töölönlahdenkatu 4, Mon–Thu 9 am–6 pm and Fri 10 am–6 pm.
  • International House Helsinki, address: Lintulahdenkuja 2 D, 2nd floor area, Mon–Thu 9 am–4 pm and Fri 9 am–4 pm.
  • Advice service is also provided in various areas of Helsinki at the libraries, play parks, cultural centres and facilities of different organisations. For the service locations and hours, please visit the Helsinki-info website.

International House Helsinki

If you have recently moved into the Helsinki Metropolitan Area, you can receive guidance and public services in one place at International House Helsinki (IHH).

At International House Helsinki, you can:

  • seek free guidance and information related to moving in several languages
  • register your right of residence if you are a citizen of an EU country
  • apply for a Finnish personal identity code, register as a resident and report your address information
  • apply for a tax card and receive guidance on taxation
  • search for information about Finnish social security and benefits
  • receive guidance on TE services and searching for work
  • receive guidance on earnings-related pension and information on the A1 certificate
  • receive help with finding employment
  • receive guidance on day-care and school places for families
  • receive support from the Spouse Program network for the spouses of foreigners who have moved to Helsinki, Espoo or Vantaa for work
  • attend free-of-charge Newcomer information sessions in English that provide support and advice on what to do before and after arriving in Finland. The events are held online.


Lintulahdenkuja 2 D, 2nd floor

00530 Helsinki

Read more on the International House Helsinki website.

Link redirects to another websiteInternational House Helsinki

Newcomer Information Sessions

Free digital support for Helsinki residents


The City of Helsinki offers city residents free digital support in cooperation with Enter ry and other organisations. Digital support is available at libraries, community centres, service centres, the adult education centre and youth centres.

You can also order digital support to be provided at home. The City of Helsinki cooperates with HelsinkiMissio, whose volunteers can help you with digital problems at your own home. You can get digital support at home by filling in the contact form online or calling HelsinkiMissio Mon, Wed and Thu at 9.00–12.00, tel. 09 2312 0370.

You can get help remotely at home by phone or via computer. To get remote digital support, order it online at You can also call the real-time and free digital support on weekdays at 9.00–12.00 on 09 310 10011 or chat with a digital support person at

In addition, Helsinki-info also advises city residents on matters related to digital support. For help, call Helsinki-info on 09 310 11 111.

Initial assessment and integration plan

When you register as a job seeker, an employee of the Employment and Economic Development Office (Työ- ja elinkeinotoimisto) will complete an initial assessment (alkukartoitus) with you and prepare an integration plan (kotoutumissuunnitelma). The Employment and Economic Development Offices of Itäkeskus and Pasila perform initial assesments. In order to have an initial survey, you must register as a job seeker online at You can register as a job seeker online if you have Finnish online banking credentials. You can also register for an initial assesment at an Employment and Economic Development Office.

Itäkeskus unit

Address: Asiakkaankatu 3 A, 4th floor

Telephone: 0295 025 500

Opening hours: Mon-Fri 9 am to 4 pm

Pasila unit

Address: Ratapihantie 7 (entrance from the Veturinkatu side of the building)

Telephone: 0295 025 500

Opening hours: Mon-Fri 9 am to 4 pm

Special immigrant services

Special Immigrant Services (Maahan muuttaneiden erityispalvelut) can provide guidance and advice on matters related to integration, immigration, trafficking in human beings and services for undocumented persons. Advice and guidance is available to anyone who needs it.

As of 4 March 2023, Ukrainians who have received temporary protection and a municipality of residence can also receive special services for immigrants.

The unit’s services include social services to promote integration, support for the independence of unaccompanied minors, and urgent and necessary social services, depending on the client’s situation.

You can also ask the Special Immigrant Services to carry out an initial assessment (alkukartoitus) pursuant to the Act on the Promotion of Immigrant Integration if you are not an unemployed jobseeker. For example, if you care for your child under the age of three, are a student, work or have been living in Finland for less than three years. The purpose of the initial assessment is to help you find the services you need to support your integration.

If you are looking for work, you should register with the TE Office. In this case, the TE Office will do your initial assessment.

Contact information:

Kalasatama Health and Well-being Centre (Kalasataman terveys- ja hyvinvointikeskus)

Special immigrant services

Työpajankatu 14A, 1st floor

Tel. 09 310 37577 (recent arrivals and victims of trafficking in human beings)

Tel. 09 310 23747 (special group social work/undocumented persons)

Read more: Integration into Finland.

Do you need an interpreter?

If you do not speak Finnish or Swedish, you can use an interpreter when attending to your affairs with the authorities. The Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) and the Finnish Immigration service (Maahanmuuttovirasto), for example, book interpreters for their customers in some cases. In that case you do not need to pay for it. Always ask about interpreting in advance from the authority in question or ask Helsinki-info for advice.

If you book an interpreter yourself and pay for it, you can use an interpreter whenever you want. Many companies in Helsinki provide interpreting services. You can search for such companies on the Internet, for example. For example, A-tulkkaus provides public service interpreters for situations where you deal with public authorities.

You can search for an interpreter or translator using the search engine on the website of The Finnish Association of Translators and Interpreters.

Read more: Do you need an interpreter?

Link redirects to another websiteThe Finnish Association of Translators and Interpreters

Search for an interpreter or a translator

Financial problems

If you have financial problems, you can ask a social worker of your municipality or Kela for advice. In some situations, you may have the right to apply for income support. Income support is applied from Kela.

Financial and debt counselling

If you have problems with debts, contact the Legal Aid Office’s financial and debt counselling unit (oikeusaputoimiston talous- ja velkaneuvonta). The service is free of charge.

Helsinki Legal Aid Office

Financial and debt counselling

Porkkalankatu 13

Tel. 029 56 60123, open Mon–Fri 8 am–4:15 pm.

To read more, go to: Financial problems.