Skip to content
Asuminen Merijärvellä

Housing in Merijärvi


Local information

Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.

Rental dwelling


The municipality of Merijärvi has around 50 rental dwellings. You can apply for municipal rental dwellings using ARA form no. 100. You can print out an application via the internet or obtain one from the Municipal Hall. When you have completed your application, send it by post or take it and the required attachments to the Merijärvi municipal office (Merijärven kunnantoimisto). Write the word "Asuntohakemus (housing application)" on the envelope.

Merijärvi municipal office (kunnantoimisto)
Kunnantie 1, 86220 Merijärvi

For further information on vacant rental dwellings, contact the switchboard of the municipality of Merijärvi
Tel. 044 477 6200

Housing can be applied for at any time.

Read more: Rental home.

You can also search for rental dwellings from the following housing websites:

Owner-occupied housing

Most Finns live in owner-occupied dwellings, in other words in dwellings they themselves own. If you buy your own dwelling, it is often less expensive in the long term than living in a rental dwelling.

Read more: Buying a home.

Supported and service housing

Service housing is intended for people who can no longer live in their own home and need round-the-clock care and attention. Service housing can be long or short term. You can apply for service housing using the service housing application form, available from the Verkko advisory service (Neuvontapiste Verkko).

Neuvontapiste VERKKO (Kalajoki-Merijärvi)
Kalajoentie 12, 85100 Kalajoki
Open Mon–Thu 9 am–11 am
Tel. 044 469 1595

Further information:
Social Security Centre of Kalajoki (Kalajoen Perusturvakeskus)
Tohtorintie 4 (2nd Floor)
85100 Kalajoki

Read more: Supported and service housing.


If you end up homeless, contact the social welfare office at the Social Security Centre of Kalajoki (Kalajoen Perusturvakeskus).

Address: Tohtorintie 4, 2nd Floor, 85100 Kalajoki
Tel. 044 469 1266, Mon–Fri 12 noon–1 pm

Housing allowance

If you are on a low income, you may be eligible to receive housing allowance from the Social Insurance Institution of Finland, Kela. You can apply for housing allowance at a Kela office.

Kalajoki Kela Office (Kela Kalajoen toimisto)
Kalajoentie 29, 85100 Kalajoki

Check the opening hours of Kela offices on Kela's website. You can also apply for housing allowance online.

Read more: Housing allowance.

Waste management and recycling

Waste which cannot be placed in your own building's waste containers can be taken to recycling or collection points. Waste such as metal, glass, cardboard and paper can be taken to recycling points (kierrätyspisteet). Hazardous waste, such as oils, fluorescent tubes, batteries, paints and domestic appliances can be taken to collection points.

The company Jätehuolto P. Pääkkönen handles waste management in the area. See the company's website for more information on waste management and recycling.

Read more: Waste and recycling.